I have been slowly trouser-ing it up in the sewing room and finished this pair of slouchy, light weight linen pants last night. The fit is good enough and I took these pictures this afternoon after wearing them most of the day.
Yes there are drag lines but there isn’t significant stretched bagginess in the butt and frankly that was the aim. I’ll spend time on the next iteration sorting out the back legs but for now I am very happy.
What did I do? First have a look at the last pair of linen pants I made:
When I went back to this picture, I noticed the pants stretched from just below the waist band down to a little below the crotch point. Essentially everywhere in the back. So, I needed to work on the side seams, centre back seam and upper back inseam too.
And that’s precisely what I did this time around, a little bit at a time. I took some width/length off then tested each step by wearing them for an evening or so. It took a while but it was worth it I think.
I did start by steam ironing and stretching the back crotch point, removing an inch in both length and width on each side of the point. I wouldn’t do this next time, to tell you the truth. I’ll simply do a test square and see how much I can iron stretch it then will remove that amount from the pattern piece.
BTW I used New Look 6382 from waist to hips cos I was lazy and then widened the legs. I fiddled about with crotch fit first before snugging it up. The waist I finished with 1″ wide petersham rather than a facing, which I think is neater and simpler.