Did you know stretch calico exists? [Oh I could do with a pun or two here but I’ll restrain myself. Just for you]
Well, I had never heard of the stuff until mum gave me a short length. She bought it years ago in the UK to make up a costume and, as all good fabric hoarders do, brought it half way around the world with her, popped it in the cupboard and promptly forgot all about it.
Anyway, it is a medium weight good quality stretch calico drill and I had enough to make up a short BurdaStyle 10/2012/116 muslin.
‘Suddenly’ they look less leggings, don’t you think? I added an extra 1/4″ at side seams and inseams for ease as a starter to ten, but more work is needed and this is what I’ve noticed so far:
* remove excess width towards the lower end of the zip on the left and equivalent on the right – I can pinch out about 1/2″ an inch at each side.
* scoop out both front and back crotch curves – I’ll check this against my other BS pants curve. Those whiskers are not diagonal so crotch length seems OK.
* horizontal wrinkles under my butt – there’s probably too much width at the back inseam
* too tight from the thighs down so I’ll add more ease in the legs.
PS my apologies for disappearing somewhat of late. Our household has hosted a succession of change of seasons lurgies then we had school holidays and now we’re in the midst of changing JJ’s work. But, things should calm down now for a while with luck so I can get back to regular sewing and posting.