Five days away full of sand, salt water and sunshine and it is good to be home again.
I have already started pulling fabric out of boxes planning my next stitching enterprise and here’s the short list. The brown and greeny are cotton voile and the other two are both cotton lawn, but first I’ll need to check sizing, trace and alter the pattern.
There’s time to make the right choice because, of course, I’ll have to muslin it first as well.
Oh and I did add a half lining to the trousers after the butt bagged so badly. They are now finished (again), though I don’t quite know whether I’ll keep them.
I flung them in the wash after they bagged then followed Anne W’s advice and whipped up a pair of cotton ‘shorts’ using the pattern pieces. These I hand sewed into the inside of the trousers at the waistband just before we went away.
I didn’t have terribly high hopes of stopping the bagging completely and they have begun to bag again after half a day’s wear. I’ve got them on again this afternoon and it’ll be interesting to see whether the fabric gives as much as it did when the trousers were unlined. I’ll let you know if you’re interested.
Regardless of the antics of the linen, I will definitely be making this pattern again with a few relatively minor modifications:
- won’t use linen or equivalent
- add a fly shield to the zipper
- draft a contoured waistband
- drop the side seams by 1/2″ at the top
- add loops and a button (per pattern) on each back double welt to help prevent gaping
- add front pockets (per pattern)
- for all pockets use lighter weight pocket fabric
- probably underline half way or do a half lining, fabric depending
- wider waistband stiffened with Petersham for the full width
- add the belt loops (per pattern)
- consider adding turn ups detail per Pella’s tutorial.