They are too big. Too. Bloody. Big.
Frankly they almost fall down when I don’t hold onto them but I did take a picture of the inside before I tried them on because I liked the colours …
How did this happen? I present you with the list of my ineptitude…
- I wasn’t at all accurate with my cutting out for the trial garments or this one. I used the same pattern but …..
- I can’t measure, obviously. I mean the waistband is too short and over eased, and the trou too large!
- I didn’t use bias pieces for the inside waistband finish. Rather, in my wisdom I cut the strips on grain.
- Both double welt pockets gape and one corner is a-fraying. My practice pockets were much better.
- There is waistband gape-age at centre back. I should have altered the CB starting from the beginning of the crotch curve all the way to the top of the waistband rather than just from near the top of the CB seam.
- The pocket lining fabric is too heavy and the pocket bags are too wide so they drag on the back of the trousers and pocket openings.
I was so mad I wanted to cry.
There are two things I am happy with – the crotch curve and fly front zipper are both good so its not all hopelessness and gloom. Anyway, tonight I’m going to rip off the waistband and start fiddling about with side and CB seams to see if I can take them in sufficiently to be wearable. If that works out I’m going to put a wider waistband on. Why? Because I clearly need the practice if nothing else.
Mutter mutter mutter ….