The last two weeks have been rather wonderful. Spring sprung in time for the school holidays so we took advantage of the changeable weather by sleeping in, gadding about in PJs until 2pm, eating cake for lunch, visiting Grandies etc.
I even managed a bit of sewing most days and made a wee dress for the kids. I had to. They begged and it was the holidays.
The fabric is a lovely light cotton I found at an op shop ages ago and the bias strips I made some time back so it was lovely to bring them together. The buttonholes, neckline ruffle, bias finishes and french seams inside are all relatively or completely new to me and I am happy with the result.
But the best thing is that I sewed the whole thing up on my sewing machine. I didn’t use the serger or coverstitch once. Not once. That, my dears is a first.
So as a trial garment (for which a slip is needed!) the kids love it and have picked out fabrics for the next ones. You can see the bodice of version two in pink and orange at the bottom right of the pic.
Oh, the pattern is BS style 143 from 05/2012. Nice and easy for my fumble fingers to learn as I sew. I have changed a few little bits a pieces but nothing substantive really.
Maybe I will manage to get onto my blogroll now that the kids are back at school (and snot free). In the mean time I will leave you with this view of the back garden.