The third and final muslin for BS 04-2011-104 is done and I am happy enough with the fit. I won’t picture it here because I’m sick of the sight of it and its not really much different from the last one. Slightly fewer wrinkles is all. Anyway, I’ll decide what fabric to use and start working on the real deal version during the week, all things being equal (we are a plague house this winter).
Oh there is one little muslin thing I rather like …. I was having trouble fitting the waistband so chucked the pattern piece and used a Threads Magazine article instead – from Tailored Trousers in Issue 162. I didn’t do a very good job of lining seams up, but its the bias binding finish I like. So simple too.
Other than that I’ve been sorting out the piles in the corner. Some of them are pretty stubborn but now at least most of my fabric is neatly stored by type in plastic boxes in the wardrobe. That makes plenty of room for all three machines to be setup at the same time. At The Same Time! A first for me and just in time as I have to make up two little ballet costumes for the kids’ concert later in the month. Lycra sparkles galore in slightly unpatriotic** gold and green.
**Ed: for those not in the know here in NZ we sport black (often worn with white) for sporting events such as, say the Olympics. Gold and green is generally worn by Australian sporting representatives and Australia is considered by some to be our closest sporting rival. Given the great global sporting extravaganza currently underway in London, will I be having a word with the ballet teacher about her choice of colour? Ahem.
The only remaining piles are these three, more or less.
The folded fabrics are mostly knits and I don’t want to file them ‘out of sight out of mind’. The two greenish pieces are vintage I’m wondering what to do with. The orange fabric and the unruly bags are all unfinished things I forgot I had or have been avoiding for one reason or another.
One other interesting thing of late is that I finally got my arse into gear a couple of weeks ago and went along to Made on Marion‘s Wednesday night catch-up. There I met the lovely Jo and learned a shit load just watching Maryanne (aka MrsC) help Jo fit her bodice muslin. Maryanne also got me thinking more and more that I need to get sewing by feel more rather than being stuck on how it ‘should’ be done. She blogged about it a whole lot more eloquently than I ever could …