A hoodie for the kids – BS 07/2010/139

BurdaStyle 07/2010/139

I’ve managed to knock another garment off my pile – a hoodie for the kids.  Actually a muslin because I haven’t done a hoodie before nor an open ended zipper.  Though most importantly I didn’t trust myself yet to break out the gorgeously soft orange sweatshirting I have in my stash.

So, as always there are some things I will do differently next time.  I’ll make the waist and sleeve bands tighter.  And, I think I’ll hand baste the zipper in and use a wash away stabiliser too when I top stitch it so it doesn’t pucker.  Finally, a bit of contrasting bias tape to cover the seam at the base of the hood will tidy it up.

Note – I didn’t bother putting the pull cord in around the hood this time but will next time and I’ll add a line of stitching for a casing.

For the muslin I used an absolutely awful plastic zipper and the fabric was a rather heavy weight t-shirt jersey with only moderate stretch (from my stash).  I won’t ever use a zip like that again – nasty thing.  The metal ones must be nicer to work with plus hopefully don’t have a hard, scratchy plate at the bottom of the zip.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Sewing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

I love comments...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s