Further to my troubles handling my Bernette 009DCC coverstitch machine a couple of weeks ago, I had a lesson at the Bernina shop and last night decided to give it a try at home where the magic of the showroom wouldn’t interfere with my sewing reality! I finished the hem, sleeves and neckline on two tops in 15 minutes without a hitch and they look great. No missed stitches. Not one. Gremlin gone.
In the end it was all about the thread – I was using the wrong stuff. Simple. I thought I had checked it too by swapping off the cheap serger stuff for regular sewing machine thread but while the cheap stuff is too uneven and burrrrry the SM thread is too thick for my delicate machine. From now on I am going to use only the good stuff for coverstitching and keep the cheap crap for serging but it comes at a price. I settled on the cheaper of two options they had, Mettler Seracor at about NZ$11 for a 1000m spool and it is working like a charm.
Oh dear, my sewing habit just got more expensive…..